Applications Are Now Open!
- Fill out an online application form and submit a $60 nonrefundable application fee (not credited toward tuition).
- Résumé that includes dance training, education, and professional experience
- ADF will review your application for the program and send you notification of acceptance via email within 1 week of submission.
- After you are accepted into the program, submit scholarship materials by April 1 to be considered for financial assistance.
ADF does not require an audition to enroll in Dance Professional Workshops.
Summer 2022 Tuition
|Tuition per Workshop||$875||Nonrefundable $200 deposit, credited towards tuition|
Summer 2022 Optional Fees
|Housing & Meals (Single, 1 week)||$565||Air-conditioned dorm & 3 meals per day|
|Housing & Meals (Single, 2 weeks)||$1,230||Air-conditioned dorm & 3 meals per day|
|Housing & Meals (Double, 1 week)||$505||Air-conditioned dorm & 3 meals per day|
|Housing & Meals (Double, 2 weeks)||$1,100||Air-conditioned dorm & 3 meals per day|
|Parking||$5* per day||Parking permits can be purchased after arrival
|Visa Assistance Fee||$125|
|Wire Transfer Fee||$50|
|Returned Check Fee||$30|
*Estimated fee, subject to change.
- Dorms cannot be guaranteed unless paid by May 16, 2022.
ADF offers a tuition discount to members of NCDEO, NDEO, or an ACDA Institution. These members will receive a 20% tuition discount off any one workshop, or a 20% discount off total tuition if attending multiple workshops. When completing your online application for the DPW program, you will be asked if you are a member and to specify which organization. Tuition discounts will be applied to your online application upon acceptance into the program.
Students may receive either a tuition discount or a scholarship, but may not receive both.
Deadlines & Important Dates
|April 1||Scholarship application deadline|
|April 15||Scholarship awards announced|
|April 30||EXTENDED SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION DEADLINE: DPW Educators|
|May 16||Full payment due|
|June 1||Completed forms due|
|Day before program start date||Last day to withdraw and receive a refund:
$200 deposit and $60 application fee are nonrefundable
$40 withdrawal fee applies
Health Insurance & COVID Requirements
Participants in all programs must provide ADF with proof of adequate health insurance coverage. Students are responsible for obtaining adequate coverage on their own. Proof of coverage must be provided before arrival. Students will not be allowed to take class until the ADF School office has their insurance information on file—no exceptions!
COVID Policies & Protocols
As the situation continues to evolve, ADF’s COVID policies and protocols will be updated in accordance with NC Governor Cooper’s office, the NC Department of Health and Human Services (NCDHHS), CDC guidelines, and Duke University. These policies and protocols will change, and we appreciate patience and cooperation.
To be successful, we need full participation in risk mitigation protocol from our students, staff, faculty, and parents/guardians. In exchange, we will provide transparent communication and clear updates as changes occur. Check back often for the most updated information.
Our priority remains the health and safety of our ADF and Duke University community. Please review these policies and protocols below carefully.
Vaccinations & Pre-Arrival Testing
All ADF students, faculty, and staff must submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination (which includes a booster shot, if applicable). If you have any questions or concerns regarding ADF’s mandatory vaccination policy, or if you are unable to take the vaccine due to a medical condition/disability or a sincerely held religious belief, please contact Heidi Rodeffer, ADF’s Director of School Administration, at email@example.com or 919-684-6402 so that ADF can determine if a reasonable accommodation can be provided.
Residential participants only (any ADF participant staying on-campus in a Duke dorm) must have a negative COVID test (PCR) within 72 hours prior to arrival on-campus and will be required to show documentation during the check-in process. Residential participants may also email proof of a negative COVID test within the 72-hr. window to firstname.lastname@example.org in advance of arrival.
ADF follows Duke University’s current mask mandate, which is as follows: Fully vaccinated individuals [primary series and booster shot] are not required to wear masks inside most Duke University campus and leased facilities. However, masks will continue to be required for all individuals in the following locations on the Duke University campus unless otherwise indicated:
- In-person classes
- Duke buses and vans
- Clinical and patient care areas
Masks may still be required in other locations based on specific circumstances, so we encourage students, employees, and visitors to carry a mask and be prepared to wear it if needed.
Positive COVID Test & Close Contact
Prior to Arrival:
Participants who test positive for COVID prior to arrival are not come to campus until they are out of their 5-day isolation period. For short-term programs, that may mean a participant who tests positive before arrival will be unable to attend the program.
While Participating in an ADF Program:
Adult participants (18 years old and up) or staff who test positive while in the program should leave campus or isolate in their dorm room, depending on their isolation duration (time based on current CDC guidelines, which is currently at least 5 days).
Participants that exhibit symptoms of COVID during the program should get tested immediately at a local testing site. Possible COVID-19 symptoms (if not related to another medical condition) are:
- Fever or chills
- Cough or sore throat
- Shortness of breath
- Muscle or body aches
- Congestion or runny nose
- Loss of taste or smell
- Nausea, vomiting, and/or diarrhea
Asymptomatic participants are not recommended to receive a test, unless they have had close contact with a COVID positive tested individual in the program.
Close Contact/COVID Exposure:
If a participant has had close contact to a tested positive COVID-participant, ADF is following the current CDC guidelines, which are as follows:
- Individuals that are unvaccinated or are more than six months out from their second mRNA dose (or more than 2 months after the J&J vaccine) and not yet boosted, CDC now recommends quarantine for 5 days followed by strict mask use for an additional 5 days.
- Individuals who have received their booster shot do not need to be quarantined following an exposure but should wear a mask for 10 days after the exposure. For all those exposed, best practice would also include a COVID test at day 5 after exposure. If symptoms occur, individuals should immediately quarantine until a negative test confirms symptoms are not attributable to COVID-19.
- If asymptomatic, a COVID test should be taken 5 days after known exposure for best results.
- If symptomatic, a COVID test should be taken as soon as possible, and the participant should isolate until the results are received.
- If a COVID PCR test is negative, the participant may continue usual activities (masked) at ADF and should continue to monitor for symptoms.
Refunds & COVID-Related Expenses
- Tuition fees are nonrefundable and will not be prorated for late arrival, early departure, or missed classes due to a positive COVID case.
- Duke housing & meals fees are refundable and can be prorated as needed in accordance with university policies.
- All COVID testing and associated costs are the responsibility of the participant. ADF will provide a list of COVID test-site locations in the Durham, NC area.
ADF is not responsible for additional off-campus housing and travel expenses that may be incurred due to a positive COVID case by a participant.
Application fee, deposit, and program payments are completed through the online application.
- Additional payment options are via over the phone or mail a check.
- Accepted forms of payment:
- All major credit/debit cards (preferred)
- Personal check, bank check, certified check, or cashier check
- Money order
- Checks should be made out to “ADF” or “American Dance Festival” and mailed to:
- ADF School, Box 90772, Durham, NC 27708
- All student accounts must be paid in full by the May 16th deadline. Payments must be received or postmarked by this date.
- Payment after the deadline requires special arrangements with the ADF School office.
Note: Any payment made in-person, over the phone, or by check may not immediately appear in your ADF online application. Scholarships may not immediately appear in your ADF online application upon acceptance. Call or email the ADF School office to confirm your account information before making a payme
ADF requires a minimum enrollment for each Dance Professional Workshop and reserves the right to cancel the program if that minimum is not met by May 16, 2022. Out-of-town students should wait to book travel and accommodations until the enrollment minimum is reached. ADF takes no responsibility for students’ air travel and housing fees if a program is canceled. Please contact the ADF School Office for enrollment updates prior to purchasing flights or booking housing.
- Summer 2022:
- The $60 application fee and $200 tuition deposit are nonrefundable.
- May 16, 2022
All paid tuition (less the $200 deposit), housing, and meal fees will be refunded in full only if written notice of withdrawal is received on or before this date.
- May 17, 2022–Day before program start date
Tuition (less the $200 deposit) will be refunded for medical reasons only. A signed doctor’s note is required. Housing and meal fees will be refunded in full.
- Program start date
Tuition will not be refunded for any reason. Prorated housing and meal fees will be refunded if a student leaves the festival early. Housing and meal refunds require approval from Duke University.
- All program withdrawals will incur a $40 withdrawal fee. When applicable, ADF refunds will be processed within 2–3 weeks of withdrawal.
The ADF School welcomes and encourages students from around the world to apply to the Summer Dance Intensive. ADF has hosted students from countries including (but not limited to): Brazil, Canada, China, Colombia, Cuba, England, France, Germany, Guyana, Greece, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Panama, Russia, South Korea, Spain, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, and Trinidad.
All classes are taught in English. The School hosts an international student gathering during Opening Weekend.
Student J1 VISA
ADF is able to submit a DS2019 form for international students who wish to obtain a J1 visa. This visa will only cover the dates of the four-week festival. Students are responsible for all other steps involved in obtaining a J1 visa beyond the DS2019.
If a foreign student requires assistance for obtaining a visa, a $125 fee will be added to their bill. This fee must be paid even if the visa application is not approved. This fee only covers ADF processing and will not cover additional visa fees incurred from the US government. Students must pay all other fees directly to their local US Embassy.
International students who need a visa to attend ADF should email email@example.com EARLY so the visa is obtained in a timely manner. Visa appointments may need to be booked as early as three months in advance of the festival.