Applications are open!
- Fill out an online application form and submit a $60 nonrefundable application fee (not credited toward tuition).
- Video audition upload or live audition indication
- Personal statement video upload
- Instructor assessment form
- ADF will review your application for the program and send you notification of acceptance via email.
- After you are accepted into the program, submit scholarship materials by March 1 (priority) or April 1 (final) to be considered for financial assistance.
ADF requires a live or video audition for acceptance into the Pre-Professional Dance Intensive.
Application correspondence will be channeled through your Acceptd account.
For technical issues with the online application, contact Acceptd: 888-725-2122 or email@example.com.
Due to the rigor of this program, applicants should meet BOTH requirements:
- Currently enrolled in 8+ hours of training per week.
- At least three consecutive years of prior dance training with a strong technical foundation.
Previously accepted/enrolled students may submit a shorter video audition for both dance skill demonstration and personal statement. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further instructions prior to applying.
Tuition & Fees
Summer 2023 tuition includes the cost of all classes, tickets to performances during the two weeks, and extra curricular activities.
|Tuition||$1,530||Nonrefundable $300 deposit, credited towards tuition|
|Housing & Meals||$1,145*||Required for residential students, double dorm & 3 meals per day|
|Commuter Lunch Meal Plan||$190*||Required for commuter students, covers 1 lunch meal 7 days per week|
|Student Health Center Fee||$50*||Optional, visit Duke’s Health Fee page for services covered|
|Visa Assistance Fee||$125||For international students that require J-1 visa assistance|
|Wire Transfer Fee||$50|
|Returned Check Fee||$30|
*Estimated fees, subject to change. Finalized in spring 2023.
- Dorm residents must purchase Housing & Meals.
- Commuting students must purchase the Commuter Lunch Meal Plan.
- Dorm rooms cannot be guaranteed unless paid by June 1, 2023.
Dates & Deadlines
Application Deadlines 2023
|February 1||Priority Application deadline|
|March 1||Application deadline|
|April 1||Final Application deadline|
Decisions are released 1–2 weeks after a deadline or live audition.
Scholarship Deadlines 2023
|March 1||Priority Deadline: Scholarship application|
|March 15||Priority scholarship awards announced|
|April 1||Final Deadline: Scholarship application|
|April 14||Final scholarship awards announced|
Important Dates 2023
|June 1||Deadline: Final payment & completed forms
Last day to withdraw and receive a refund:
|July 9||Arrive at ADF!|
|July 22||Student performance
Application & Audition Requirements
All students must either attend a live audition or submit a video audition for skill level assessment in addition to completing all online application steps. See the next tab for live audition details.
There is no preference given for a live ADF audition class versus submitting a video audition. All students will be considered equally.
Video Dance Audition Requirements
For students submitting a video dance audition:
- Technique video should be no more than 3 minutes total, including up to 1.5 minutes of modern or contemporary technique AND up to 1.5 minutes of any other dance technique or style that you do regularly.
- Creative work video should be up to 1 minute total of improvisation or performing a self-choreographed solo.
Notes on technique videos: Do not repeat exercises multiple times. When demonstrating each of your selected dance techniques, remember that each technique has different physical/artistic values and skills. Your dancing should reflect the technique’s depth, complexity, and range. We encourage you to perform class exercises/movements that:
- Feature your ability to move with musicality or rhythmic sensitivity
- Show the physical coordination necessary for the technique
- Involve moving in place and through space
Personal Statement Video Requirement (All Applicants)
All applicants must submit a personal statement via video submission.
- Please address the following questions in your video. We want to hear your voice and your ideas:
- What is most exciting to you about dancing and why do you want to come to the Pre-Professional Dance Intensive?
- What are the three most important personal habits and attitudes that you believe are necessary to contribute to a creative community?
Instructor Assessment (All Applicants)
A current dance teacher must fill out the Instructor Assessment Form. You will provide your instructor’s email in the application, which automatically sends the assessment form. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure the assessment is submitted by the instructor for a complete application package. Applications are considered incomplete until the assessment is received.
Live Dance Audition Requirements & Dates
Live Dance Audition Requirements
For students attending a live audition:
- Students are asked to submit an online application for the program prior to the live audition.
- Please arrive early! Check-in begins approximately 30 minutes before the audition.
- The audition class will include, but is not limited to:
- A brief warm-up
- Modern/contemporary technique
- 1-minute self-choreographed or improvised solo in any dance technique or style. Bring appropriate footwear (no tap or hard-soled shoes). A stereo with audio jack input will be provided.
- At the audition, there will be an information session where students can ask questions and learn more about the intensive.
- Note: Portions of class will be filmed to assist final acceptance decisions.
Optional: Those attending live auditions can upload a 1-minute creative work video for additional consideration when completing the online application to help us fully assess. The optional video is encouraged for applicants that auditioned at large festivals.
Click Here for Live Audition Dates
Health Insurance & COVID Requirements
Students in all programs must provide ADF with proof of adequate health insurance coverage. Students are responsible for obtaining coverage that lasts the duration of their program and provide ADF with proof of health insurance on or before the program start date. Students without proof of insurance are not permitted to take class or move onto campus until the information is provided. Health insurance from countries outside of the USA will not be accepted. International students should purchase a traveler’s health insurance plan that is accepted in the USA.
COVID Policies & Protocols
ADF and Duke require up-to-date vaccination against COVID-19 for all students, faculty, and staff, or an individual must have an approved medical or religious exemption. Masks are still required on Duke buses and shuttles, and in patient and clinical settings for all individuals, regardless of vaccination status. Anyone who is experiencing COVID-19 symptoms should wear a mask, not report to work or attend classes, and get tested as soon as possible. A full list of COVID policies, subject to change, will be available in the spring of 2023.
Application fee, deposit, and program payments are completed through the online application.
- Additional payment options are via over the phone or mail a check.
- Accepted forms of payment:
- All major credit/debit cards (preferred)
- Personal check, bank check, certified check, or cashier check
- Money order
- Checks should be made out to “ADF” or “American Dance Festival” and mailed to:
- ADF School, Box 90772, Durham, NC 27708
- All student accounts must be paid in full by the June 1 deadline. Payments must be received or postmarked by this date.
- Payment after the deadline requires special arrangements with the ADF School office.
Note: Any payment made in-person, over the phone, or by check may not immediately appear in your ADF online application. Scholarships may not immediately appear in your ADF online application upon acceptance. Call or email the ADF School office to confirm your account information before making a payment.
- Summer 2023 Withdrawal:
- The $60 application fee and $300 tuition deposit are nonrefundable.
- June 1, 2023
All paid tuition (less the $300 deposit), housing, and meal fees will be refunded in full only if written notice of withdrawal is received on or before this date.
- June 2–July 8, 2023
Tuition (less the $300 deposit) will be refunded for medical reasons only. A signed doctor’s note is required. Housing and meal fees will be refunded in full.
- After July 8, 2023
Tuition will not be refunded for any reason. Prorated housing and meal fees will be refunded if a student leaves the festival early. Housing and meal refunds require approval from Duke University.
- All program withdrawals will incur a $40 withdrawal fee. When applicable, ADF refunds will be processed within 2–3 weeks of withdrawal.
The ADF School welcomes and encourages students from around the world to apply to the Summer Dance Intensive. ADF has hosted students from countries including (but not limited to): Brazil, Canada, China, Colombia, Cuba, England, France, Germany, Guyana, Greece, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Panama, Russia, South Korea, Spain, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, and Trinidad.
All classes are taught in English. The School hosts an international student gathering during Opening Weekend.
Student J1 VISA
ADF is able to submit a DS2019 form for international students who wish to obtain a J1 visa. This visa will only cover the dates of the four-week festival. Students are responsible for all other steps involved in obtaining a J1 visa beyond the DS2019.
If a foreign student requires assistance for obtaining a visa, a $125 fee will be added to their bill. This fee must be paid even if the visa application is not approved. This fee only covers ADF processing and will not cover additional visa fees incurred from the US government. Students must pay all other fees directly to their local US Embassy.
International students who need a visa to attend ADF should email email@example.com EARLY so the visa is obtained in a timely manner. Visa appointments may need to be booked as early as three months in advance of the festival.