Applications are open!
- Fill out an online application form and submit a $60 nonrefundable application fee (not credited toward tuition).
- ADF will review your application for the program and send you notification of acceptance via email within 1 week of submission.
- After you are accepted into the program, complete the following within your application:
- Submit scholarship materials by March 1 (priority) or April 1 (final) to be considered for financial assistance.
- Class registration is available March 1. You must submit your deposit to register for classes.
- Submit audition materials for Footprints by April 19. Auditioning is optional.
ADF does not require an audition to enroll in the Summer Dance Intensive, unless you are applying for a tuition scholarship or auditioning for Footprints, which requires a live and/or video audition submission.
Application correspondence will be channeled through your Acceptd account.
For technical issues with the online application, contact Acceptd: 888-725-2122 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tuition & Fees
Summer 2023 Tuition:
|Tuition Full-Time||$2,390||Nonrefundable $300 deposit, credited towards tuition|
|Tuition Part-Time (1 class)||$875||Includes performance tickets & additional drop-in classes|
Summer 2023 Optional Fees:
|Housing: Single Dorm||$1,650*||Air-conditioned dorm, no meal plan|
|Housing: Double Dorm||$1,325*||Air-conditioned dorm, no meal plan|
|Student Health Center Fee||$100*||Visit Duke’s Health Fee page for services covered|
|East Campus Parking Fee||$34.50*||Parking permits are purchased upon arrival
|Visa Assistance Fee||$125||For international students that require J-1 visa assistance|
|Wire Transfer Fee||$50|
|Returned Check Fee||$30|
*Estimated fees, subject to change. Finalized in spring 2023.
- Dorm rooms cannot be guaranteed unless paid by May 10, 2023.
Dates & Deadlines
|March 1||Class registration opens online
|March 1||Priority Deadline: Scholarship application
|March 15||Priority scholarship awards announced
|April 1||Final Deadline: Scholarship application|
|April 14||Final scholarship awards announced|
|April 19||Deadline: Footprints online auditions (optional)|
|April 27||Footprints casting announced|
|May 10||Deadline: Final payment & completed forms|
Last day to withdraw and receive a refund:
|June 8||Arrive at ADF!|
|July 8||Depart ADF|
Health Insurance & Covid Requirements
Students in all programs must provide ADF with proof of adequate health insurance coverage. Students are responsible for obtaining coverage that lasts the duration of their program and provide ADF with proof of health insurance on or before the program start date. Students without proof of insurance are not permitted to take class or move onto campus until the information is provided. Health insurance from countries outside of the USA will not be accepted. International students should purchase a traveler’s health insurance plan that is accepted in the USA.
COVID Policies & Protocols
ADF and Duke require up-to-date vaccination against COVID-19 for all students, faculty, and staff, or an individual must have an approved medical or religious exemption. Masks are still required on Duke buses and shuttles, and in patient and clinical settings for all individuals, regardless of vaccination status. Anyone who is experiencing COVID-19 symptoms should wear a mask, not report to work or attend classes, and get tested as soon as possible. A full list of COVID policies, subject to change, will be available in the spring of 2023.
Application fee, deposit, and program payments are completed through the online application.
- Additional payment options are via over the phone or mail a check.
- Accepted forms of payment:
- All major credit/debit cards (preferred)
- Personal check, bank check, certified check, or cashier check
- Money order
- Checks should be made out to “ADF” or “American Dance Festival” and mailed to:
- ADF School, Box 90772, Durham, NC 27708
- All student accounts must be paid in full by the May 10th deadline. Payments must be received or postmarked by this date.
- Payment after the deadline requires special arrangements with the ADF School office.
Note: Any payment made in-person, over the phone, or by check may not immediately appear in your ADF online application. Scholarships may not immediately appear in your ADF online application upon acceptance. Call or email the ADF School office to confirm your account information before making a payment.
- Summer 2023 Withdrawal:
- The $60 application fee and $300 tuition deposit are nonrefundable.
- May 10, 2023
All paid tuition (less the $300 deposit), housing, and meal fees will be refunded in full only if written notice of withdrawal is received on or before this date.
- May 11–June 7, 2023
Tuition (less the $300 deposit) will be refunded for medical reasons only. A signed doctor’s note is required. Housing and meal fees will be refunded in full.
- After June 7, 2023
Tuition will not be refunded for any reason. Prorated housing and meal fees will be refunded if a student leaves the festival early. Housing and meal refunds require approval from Duke University.
- All program withdrawals will incur a $40 withdrawal fee. When applicable, ADF refunds will be processed within 2–3 weeks of withdrawal.
The ADF School welcomes and encourages students from around the world to apply to the Summer Dance Intensive. ADF has hosted students from countries including (but not limited to): Brazil, Canada, China, Colombia, Cuba, England, France, Germany, Guyana, Greece, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Panama, Russia, South Korea, Spain, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, and Trinidad.
All classes are taught in English. The school hosts an international student gathering during Opening Weekend.
Student J1 VISA
ADF is able to submit a DS2019 form for international students who wish to obtain a J1 visa. This visa will only cover the dates of the four-week festival. Students are responsible for all other steps involved in obtaining a J1 visa beyond the DS2019.
If a foreign student requires assistance for obtaining a visa, a $125 fee will be added to their bill. This fee must be paid even if the visa application is not approved. This fee only covers ADF processing and will not cover additional visa fees incurred from the US government. Students must pay all other fees directly to their local US Embassy.
International students who need a visa to attend ADF should email email@example.com EARLY so the visa is obtained in a timely manner. Visa appointments may need to be booked as early as three months in advance of the festival.